Thursday, March 19, 2015

Shredded Beef Tacos

Shredded Beef Tacos

So since my FB post yesterday caused such a stir I figured I better write this recipe down to share (more like I better write it down so I don't forget what I did)  :)

One 3 to 4-pound beef roast. I used a 7-bone roast because it was on sale.
Minced garlic
Pickled jalapenos and a little of the juice
Ground Cumin
Mexican Oregano
Chili Powder
Smoked Paprika
Yellow Onion, sliced thin
Olive Oil
Beef Broth

Trim the obvious extra fat off the roast. Drizzle a tablespoon or so of oil into a wide-bottom Dutch oven or stew pot. Heat up the oil then plop the roast into the pot and let it brown. Flip over and let the other side brown.

Add all ingredients, pour in beef broth half way to two-thirds up the sides of the meat, cover, simmer for 3 to 4 hours until meat shreds easily. Pick out the bones. Serve with shredded cabbage and avocado / jalapeno sauce. Use for tacos, burritos, taco salad, whatever!

This would probably be really good with pork, too.


Avocado / Jalapeno Sauce

3 to 4 medium avocados
1 bottle plain kefir (or 1 container Greek yogurt)
1 jalapeno
1 bunch cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
minced garlic to taste
salt to taste

Throw everything in the food processor and blend until smooth. Use at topping for tacos. This tastes even better if it sits in the fridge over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment